Kory W. Mathewson
Research Scientist in Artificial Intelligence and Improvisor
Dr. Kory W. Mathewson, 2021.
Kory Mathewson is a Research Scientist with DeepMind and a Lab Scientist with the Creative Destruction Lab. Kory holds a Ph.D. in Computing Science from the University of Alberta with the Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute. His research focuses on understanding interaction between humans and machines, with a focus on conversational dialog systems and human-robot interfaces.
Before joining DeepMind, Kory interned at Twitter Cortex, Google Brain Magenta, and at Apple Special Projects Group. Before his Ph.D. in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, he completed his Bachelor’s degree (2010) in Electrical Engineering and his Master’s degree (2014) in Biomedical Engineering, both at the University of Alberta.
Kory is also an accomplished performance artist with more than 15 years experience in theatrical improvisation with Rapid Fire Theatre. He fuses his interests by developing artificial intelligences to perform alongside.
- Sep21 - “Collaborative Storytelling with Human Actors and AI Narrators”, ICCC ‘21.
- Mar21 - “Tele-Immersive Improv: Effects of Immersive Visualisations on Rehearsing and Performing Theatre Online”, CHI ‘21.
- Feb21 - “Symbolic Behaviour in Artificial Intelligence”, DeepMind
- Dec20 - “Imitating Interactive Intelligence”, DeepMind
- Dec20 - “Agence: an interactive film exploring multi-agent systems and human agency” at NeurIPS 2020 Creativity Workshop
- Dec20 - “Text to Dialog: Using Semantic Similarity to Extend Narrative Immersion in Virtual Worlds” at NeurIPS 2020 Creativity Workshop
- Dec20 - “Semantic Chat: Enabling Greater Believability through Voice Avatars in Multiplayer and Story-Driven Games” at NeurIPS 2020 Wordplay Workshop
- Dec20 - “Conceptualization and Framework of Hybrid Intelligence Systems” at NeurIPS 2020 HAMLETS Workshop
- Dec20 - “Inductive Bias and Language Expressivity in Emergent Communication” at NeurIPS 2020 Emergent Communication Workshop
- Sep20 - “Rosetta Code: Improv in Any Language” at 2020 International Conference on Computational Creativity
- Sep20 - “Do Digital Agents Do Dada?” at 2020 International Conference on Computational Creativity
- Sep20 - “Shaping the Narrative Arc: An Information-Theoretic Approach to Collaborative Dialogue” at 2020 International Conference on Computational Creativity
- Jun20 - Improbotics @ Paris Fringe
- Apr20 - ImitaTED Radio Hour Podcast
- Feb20 - The Professors @ RFT
- Jan20 - EEGEdu Deployed
- Dec19 - ParityBot, “Women, politics and Twitter: Using machine learning to change the discourse” @ 2019 NeurIPS AI for Social Good Workshop
- Nov19 - Rosetta Code in London
- Sep19 - Improbotics in Belgium
- Sep19 - Research Scientist @ DeepMind
- Jul19 - Human-centric IML at RLDM
- Apr19 - Augment Improv @ ACM C&C
- Apr19 - Successfully defended PhD thesis
- Feb19 - Entailment paper accepted to NAACL
- Feb19 - Narrative Arc paper on Arxiv
- Jan19 - Improbotics at Rapid Fire Theatre
- Jan19 - Talk generator accepted to EvoMusArt
- Dec18 - Neurips Creativity Wkshp AI-Art
- Nov18 - Present “Best Career Advice”, FGSR
- Nov18 - Present dAIrector at INT/WICED18
- Nov18 - Present Improbotics at AIIDE18
- Jun18 - Intern @ Google Brain Montreal
- May18 - Hello World Canada (Bloomberg)
- Mar18 - Teaching Machines to be Funny
- Feb18 - Reactive RL paper
- Nov17 - NeurIPS'17 Wkshp Creativity/ Design.
- Oct17 - Paper accepted AIIDE'17
- Aug17 - HumanMachine@Edinburgh Fringe
- Jul17 - Intern @ AI Research at Apple
- Apr17 - Intern @ Google Brain on Magenta
- Mar17 - Poster at AAAI Spring Symposium
- Jan17 - HumanMachine @ DemoCamp 34
- Jan17 - Leadership in Improvisation Talk
- Jan17 - Paper accepted AAAI SS
- Nov16 - UofA Science Graduate Scholarship
- Nov16 - Edmonton Top40 Under40
- Oct16 - Cognitive Neuro Seminar
- Sep16 - Open source torch-twrl
- Sep16 - Talk at UT Austin
- Jul16 - Intern @ Twitter Cortex
- Jul16 - AITF Scholarship
- Jul16 - IJCAI IML 2016 in NYC
- Jun16 - ICML 2016 in NYC
- Apr16 - NSERC CGSD Scholarship
- Apr16 - 2016 Barbados Workshop on RL
- Apr16 - First performance with Pyggy
This is the end of the page. Thank you for scrolling this far.